Erectile Dysfunction (A Complete Guide)
Mar 30, 2023
One out of 10 males suffer from Erectile Dysfunction, also known as ED, in their lifetime. Most men do not know what this problem is and how to cope with it. This article talks about the symptoms of ED, what causes it, and the treatment measures.
What is Erectile DysfunctionErectile dysfunction occurs when a person fails to achieve or maintain an erection. The condition prevents the man from having or finishing sex. ED can strike at any age, but it is more common in men over the age of 50-60. ED does not have to be a part of ageing. As a man ages, he may require more stimulation to achieve an erection.
Symptoms of Erectile DysfunctionED symptoms include the following:
- Having difficulties getting an erection
- Having difficulty keeping an erection during sexual activities
Other ED-related sexual disorders include:
- Premature ejaculation
- Delayed ejaculation
- Unable to achieve orgasm despite sufficient stimulation
Consult your doctor if any of these symptoms last for three months or longer. They can help you to determine whether your symptoms are caused by an underlying condition which needs treatment.
Cause of Erectile DysfunctionThe brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles, and blood vessels all play a role in sexual arousal in males. Erectile dysfunction can result from any of these factors. ED can be caused or worsened by stress and mental health issues.
Sometimes erectile dysfunction is caused by a combination of physical and psychological issues. Anxiety about maintaining an erection, for example, may be caused by a minor physical condition that slows your sexual response. The anxiety that results from this can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.
In many cases, erectile dysfunction is the result of a physical problem. A few other causes are:
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Parkinson’s disease
- Tobacco use
- Peyronie’s disease
- Alcoholism and other substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Prostate cancer or enlarged prostate treatments
- Low testosterone
- Surgery or spinal cord injuries
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
The first thing your doctor will do is make sure you're getting the right treatment for any medical conditions that are causing or exacerbating your erectile dysfunction. There may be several treatment options available to you depending on the cause and severity of your erectile dysfunction, as well as any underlying medical conditions. Your doctor will go over the risks and benefits of each treatment option with you and consider your preferences.
How to Prevent Erectile DysfunctionThere are several things you can do to help prevent ED. Many of these steps entail changing one's lifestyle. As a result, it aids in not only preventing ED, but also overall health.
To help prevent ED, follow the tips below:
- Control medical conditions like heart diseases and diabetes.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Sleep well and keep your stress under control.
- Seek help if you are suffering from anxiety or depression.
- Quit smoking.
Frequently Asked Questions:Why do I keep losing my erection?
It can be caused by various reasons e.g. tiredness, stress or excessive alcohol consumption etc. If anyone is suffering from ED quite often, it might be due to high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
How can I test for Erectile Dysfunction at home?
The following are some examples of ED self-tests:
- A stamp test for nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT).This test is to confirm erections at night.
- A recent type of NPT test is used to assess a man's nighttime erection quality.
What is the fastest way to cure ED?
Medications such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Staxyn, and Stendra can provide quick results. During sexual arousal, these pills increase blood flow to the penis, allowing for a firm enough erection for satisfying sexual intercourse.
How can you tell if a man has Erectile Dysfunction?
When you have Erectile Dysfunction, you will experience the following symptoms:
- Desire for sex has decreased.
- Inability to keep an erection.
- The inability to obtain an erection.
How do you fix an Erectile Dysfunction?
Some of the most popular ways to treat ED are as follows:
- VED (Vacuum Erection Device) A VED, also known as a penile pump, works by manually sucking blood into your penis.
- Testosterone replacement therapy.
- Penile injections.
- Implantation of the penile organ.